About Our Club
Since 1927 the Melbourne Rotary has been serving the needs of the greater Melbourne Florida community. President Don Ezelle of the Melbourne Rotary Club (1970 - 71} was the first to upadte the Club's history and pre¬sent a copy to each member. The history should acquaint each member with the Club's achievements and what the Club should mean to this community. It is impossible to include in limited space a complete record of all the activities of the Melbourne Rotary Club, which has been in existence since January, 1927. We wish to thank the various members of the Club for the information they provided per-taining to the Club's contributions to this city and South Brevard. The aim of each Rotarian is to make this community a good place for family living. The realization of this objective is the fervent desire of every member of the Melbourne Rotary Club.
The Melbourne Rotary Club was organized on January 26, 1927 and sponsored by the Cocoa Rotary Club. The charter was presented in an impressive ceremony in the New Trade Winds Hotel and at that time J. A. Murdoch was installed as the first president of the new Club. The Club has enjoyed a steady growth since its inception to this date. The Club is held in high esteem by the citizens of Melbourne as shown by their participation in the projects initiated by the Club.
"Service Above Self" is more than a slogan. It is an accepted principal, a genuine statement of Purposes of all Rotarians. Community Service is one of the channels or outlets for the fulfillment of this purpose. Projects sponsored by the Melbourne Rotary Club, since its beginning in 1927, are many and varied but primarily geared to the needs of the youth who in turn will be the valued citizen of tomorrow.
Melbourne Rotary Club Sponsored Two Other Clubs
The Melbourne Rotary Club is proud of the fact it has sponsored two other Rotary Clubs in this area. The Indialantic Club was the first of these clubs and the other was the Eau Gallie Club.
Indialantic Rotary Club was sponsored on September 24, 1958 with thirty-two members. Jack Fogg was elected the first President and Bill Heinly Vice President. Charles Neimeyer was elected Treasurer and Lucius McHose Secretary.
The Eau Gallie Rotary Club was formed during the Presi-dency of Arthur Yunker. (1965-66) This Club along with the Indialantic Rotary Club has contributed much to the progress of Rotary in Brevard County and to the youth of this vicinity.
Much friendly rivalry has existed among the three Clubs and many fines have been levied when Rotarians of one Club visit the others. 'Cooperation for the good of everyone has always existed among all three and at combined meetings every one is assured a real evening of pleasure and much good and friendly kidding is evidenced.
Due to the sponsoring of these two Clubs many valuable members have been lost to the Mother Club but in the true spirit of Rotary we wish them continued success and stand ready at all times to cooperate in all worthwhile endeavors.
Interact And Rotaract Clubs
The Melbourne Rotary Club was the first Club in the history of Rotary International to form or sponsor "Interact" which is an organization of young men of High School age to carry on the traditions of Rotary and to uphold the high ideals practiced by Rotarians everywhere. This "Interact" Club was Number One in the world and at this writing there are over five hundred "Interact" Clubs in the world. Truly a tremendous achievement for our Club.
"Rotaract", very similar to the Interact in aims and principles but at the college level, began at the Florida Institute of Technology and Brevard Junior College. These organizations where in there early days under the guidance of Jim Gray, a very active Rotarian, and today are very active in our Universities all across the country and globe.
Special thanks to Shelley Media Arts for provide the website and hosting pro bono.
Leave a Comment
You must be logged in to post a comment.